Difference between hard & soft wax:
– Softer waxes are stickier, easier to apply, but may rub away at pressure points on your board.
– Harder waxes are less sticky, slightly harder to apply, but stay in place and don’t rub off easily.
Good surf wax should provide:
– Moderate to high stickiness
– Stability underfoot
– Use when you want increased stickiness without sacrificing stability
– Harder basecoat provides stability and is used when you first wax your board, while softer topcoat wax holds it in place and can be reapplied
How basecoat & topcoat combinations work:
– Firm basecoat holds softer topcoat wax in place and prevents it from moving or rubbing away
– Topcoat wax can be stickier when used with a basecoat
Rules for basecoat/topcoat combinations:
– Basecoat must be sufficiently hard for the current water temperature
– Any softer wax can be used as a topcoat